Saturday, May 3, 2014

Denver's First Farmers' Markets of the Season


Today was the start of Denver's Farmer's/Fresh Market season. The first one open was Cherry Creek Fresh Market on 1st and University Boulevard. It was a great spring morning to shop around and see what they were offering. There was a lot of product vendors, a couple of food trucks, and two or three fresh produce vendors for now.

On my shopping experience today, I purchased a hodge podge of items. My one mission on today's shopping experience was to get some items to prepare a Cinco de Mayo meal since it was going on this weekend. As I walked into the market area, I could smell the fire roasted chilies roasting in the drum, and it lured me into buying a some.


The second stop was Rocky Mountain Fresh where I tried some beautiful green and purple heirloom tomatoes. I went home with a Cherokee purple heirloom tomato and English cucumber. Later this week, I will be using the produce in a salad and maybe some salsa. They were also selling heirloom tomato plants, for people to take home and grow themselves.


Third stop, I tried some Haystack Mountain Artisan Goat Cheese. To keep with my mission, I went home with the Queso de Mano cheese. It will be a great addition to the street tacos I am making. They also said the cheese is good with jam and crackers.

One last thing Cinco de Mayo themed purchase was a half dozen mild chicken tamales, and some spicy jalapeno salsa to smoother the tamale from Colorado Best Tamales. Other purchases were at the Polish Tavern tent to get some potato and cheese pierogies, and White Lightning Grill Bratwurst from a bona fide German man. All the bratwursts were all natural, nitrate free, no filler bratwursts.

Recipes to come with my purchases.

Tips: Before going to the farmers or fresh market, I always bring a cloth bag, so I am not collecting plastic bags. Eat before you go, so you do not end up buying more than you want. There are many samples, but do not count on them filling you up. Last but not least, bring cash not all the vendors take credit cards.



No comments:

Post a Comment